The former Františkovo nábřeží - Emperor Franz’s Embankment (since 1952 Smetanovo nábřeží – Smetana’s Embankment)
Františkovo nábřeží (Emperor Franz‘s Embankment) was built between the years 1841 and 1845 and offers a magnificent view of the city across the Vltava River – first of all it is necessary to mention the bridge of Emperor Franz constructed in 1901 (now called the Bridge of the Legions – Most Legií), the leafy Střelecký ostrov (Schützeninsel or Shooting Island) and the Lesser Town (Malá Strana) situated on the other side of the river with Prague Castle towering above it. When we move off to the right from Národní třída, we will come in a while to a remarkable sculpture with a Neo-Gothic canopy and a riding statue of the above-mentioned emperor..
This guided walk is a part of the "Democracy on the Brink. Historical lessons from the late 1930s" project supported by the Europe for Citizens programme of the European Union.