Warsaw

Archive

Rašínovo (former Palackého) nábřeží 4

The buildings located between Palacký and Jirásek bridges were built toward the end of 19th century in an opulent style. show

1920s - 1930s

The City of Three Cultures? Prague in the 1920s and 1930s Prague’s diverse population show

1933-39

Prague 1933 – 1939: The life of a multiethnic city at the age of unemployment show

1939-45

Prague, 1939–45: The heart of the German Reich show

1945

Prague’s decisive hour: The end or a new beginning in 1945? show

Accommodation centre for refugees in the Hotel Ritz, Zbraslav

The hotel, built in 1923-1924, served later as a rest home for Czechoslovak veterans from the First World War. After 1933 refugees from Nazi Germany were accommodated here. show

Arbeiter Illustrierte Zeitung

First published in Willi Münzenberg’s Berlin-based Neuer Deutscher Verlag in 1924, the Arbeiter Illustrierte Zeitung (AIZ) soon became probably the most popular German worker’s paper. show

Arbesovo náměstí

„O Arbesakos“ show

Arco

There were three outstanding cafés in pre-war Prague where international society gathered and contributed to the European cultural life. show

Arco

As a student of the Minerva grammar school for girls, Milena Jesenská used to frequent the Arco Café. show

Banh-mi Makers

Tomáš show

Bans

Endless Bans show

Belgická 25

This building was constructed in 1898 and from the very beginning served as an orphanage for Jewish boys. show

Bubny train station

The Bubny train stations saw nearly 50,000 people put onto transports heading to concentration camps and ghettos in the east of Europe. show

Bulovka Hospital

Opened in 1931, Bulovka Hospital became very quickly one of the most important hospitals in Prague. show

Café Mánes

Café Mánes was part of the Mánes premises built in a purely functionalist style. Commissioned by Mánes Union of Fine Arts, the building and the café was designed by Otakar Novotný. show

Café in Municipal House

“We must go also to Repre, Tvrdošíjní (The Obstinate fine art group) have a meeting there every Monday,” writes the artist Jan Zrzavý in 1918 to his friend Johannes Urzidil. show

Cafés

In the interwar period, Prague was “overflowing” with cafés – places where one could work, read, talk and meet people at a time where information was not disseminated by television. show

Cinemas

Maják, Arbes, Sofie – Cinemas in Smíchov Cinemas Maják, Arbes and Sofie were an integral part of the life in Smíchov and are mentioned in the interviews. show

Coal

Coal show

Collaboration

“Kolaborace” simply meant “společná práce” or “spolupráce” before the Nazi occupation of Prague and the establishment of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. show

Continental

Café Continental was situated on one of the most frequented boulevards in Prague and existed for over 50 years. Memories of members of its clientele span more than two generations. show

Czech Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Writer and linguist Pavel Eisner worked as a translator for the Czech Chamber of Commerce and Industry. In addition, he published his articles in Prager Presse Daily. show

Dejvice Train Station

After a few weeks (the exact date is not known), the internees were transported from the barracks where they were held to the Prague-Dejvice train station. show

Dlouhá 33, Auxiliary Transport Service

No. 33 Dlouhá, Auxiliary Transport Service; Jewish Labour Centre; Treuhandstelle No. 4 show

Edgar Hahnewald

Soběslavská 2257/35, Praha 3 show

Edison

One of the dominant houses of the lower end of today’s Wenceslas Square, the so-called Můstek, is the extraordinary building designed by Alena and Jan Šrámek. show

Erich Ollenhauer

Na Pískách 1835/32, Praha 6 show

Exile Press

German Exile Press in Prague 1933-38 show

Fibichova street: Old Jewish Cemetery at Olšany

Fibichova street: Old Jewish Cemetery at Olšany (today Mahlerovy sady) show

Friedrich Stampfer

Na Slupi 434/8, Praha 2 show

Gathering point

In 1941, a gathering place for Jews destined for transports was set up in the wooden buildings of the Radio Market at the New Exhibition Grounds belonging to Prague’s Trade Fairs company. show

Gegen-Angriff

One of the first newspapers edited by exiles in Prague was Gegen-Angriff [Counterattack] which first appeared in April 1933. show

German Casino

Concordia was an association of artists and writers, which resided in the German Casino (in the German, later Slavic House) in Na Příkopě Street. show

Grand Hotel Evropa

The hotel was built in 1872 by architect Josef Schulz. Its original name “U arcivévody Štěpána” was changed by the new owner in 1924 to “Grand hotel Šroubek”. show

Hagibor

Hagibor, meaning hero in Hebrew, was the name given to a Jewish sports club. Today Hagibor forms a part of the cadastral territory of Prague 10. show

Hajnovka

Hajnovka restaurant was one of the places in Prague where supporters of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD) met. They had fled from the Reich after 1933. show

Hard Comebacks

Hard Comebacks show

Holocaust

A gathering point in the middle of a modern city show

Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador show

House in Pod Bořislavkou Street Zavadilova Street 38/1736

This is the house where the Stölzig family shortly before the end of war planned their escape to Benešov nad Ploučnicí, the father's birthplace. show

Housing

Housing, neighbourhoods show

Juliš

It was the exceptional interior architecture inside the Juliš Hotel that made this café on Václavské náměstí (Wenceslas Square) the most attractive in the 1930s. show

Jáchymova 63/3

The Jewish social care for refugees had its seat at this address. They looked after many Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany, they provided the refugees accommodation, food and made efforts to show

Koruna Cinema

Since the 1930's, the Koruna Palace was known for its popular snack bar. On October 23, 1914, a cinema was opened there, screening mainly thrillers with Ernst Reicher (playing Stuart Webbs). show

Liaisons

Praha – Prag: The City of Literature, Two Languages and Many Liaisons show

Lidická street

Life in Lidická Street show

Lucerna Palace

Between 1907 and 1920, a complex of buildings was raised on Wenceslas Square. The author of the project known as the “Lucerna Palace” was architect Ing. show

Main Train Station

For many Roma, the Main Train Station (formerly Wilson Station) was the place where, at the time following the end of WWII, their new life in the Czech lands began. show

Minerva

Minerva show

Mozarteum

Verein für musikalische Privataufführungen (Society for the Private Performance of Music) - Mozarteum show

Municipal Library

Municipal Library show

Municipal library

The everyday life of refugees who had fled Nazi Germany was marked strongly by their unemployment. They were forbidden to do any work. show

Music

Czech/German Music Life in Prague show

Mánes

The Mánes Controversy of 1934 show

N. P. Kondakov Archaeological Institute, Slunná 10

In the second half of the 1930s this house was the seat of the N. P. Kondakov Archaeological Institute. show

Na Hromádkové

The Roma play for the Roma show

Na Perštýně 5 –Restaurant U Medvídků

Na Perštýně 5 –Restauracja U Medvídků show

Na Perštýně 6

The Prague headquarters of the Zionist socialists – or more precisely the social democrats (Poale Zion) – was on the second floor of a building located at Na Perštýně Street 6. show

Na Poříčí 32

This house was the home of Adolf Dauber, nicknamed Dol or Dolfi, Jewish violinist and composer, who in the 1920s and 1930s performed dance music and jazz as well as classical music. show

Na Poříčí 6 – Selbstwehr

One of the most famous Jewish weeklies written in German, called Selbstwehr (Self-defence), was located at Na Poříčí Street 6. show

Na Příkopě 988/31

Na Příkopě 988/31 show

Na Příkopě – Slovanský dům (Slavic House)

The Na Příkopě boulevard was one of the main thoroughfares in the centre of Prague. What is today the Slavic House used to be the German House until 1945. show

National Museum

The National Museum has, since the late nineteenth century, served as a national symbol and backdrop for some the Prague’s most momentous political events. show

Neue Weltbühne

Founded in 1905 by Siegfried Jacobsohn in Berlin, Weltbühne – initially a paper for theatre reviews – was maybe the most influential and prestigious intellectual paper of Weimar Germany. show

No. 1 U staré školy: Out-patient Facility

U staré školy 1, Ambulance show

No. 18 Maiselova, The Jewish Religious Community in Prague

No. 18 Maiselova, The Jewish Religious Community in Prague show

No. 19 Kateřinská, Hospital

No. 19 Kateřinská, Hospital show

No. 3 Jáchymova, Jewish Social Care for Refugees

Jewish Social Care for Refugees; Jewish School show

No. 57 Lublaňská, Hospital

No. 57 Lublaňská, Hospital show

No. 7 Sázavská, Vinohrady Synagogue

No. 7 Sázavská, Vinohrady Synagogue show

Opletalova 1441/19

This building was the original headquarters for the Prague pobočka of the Sicherheitsdienst. The Sicherheitsdienst, headed by Reinhard Heydrich in Berlin, was a section within SS that, in the show

Otto Friedländer

Riegerovy sady, Praha 2 show

Otto Wels

Na Viničních horách 773/44, Praha 6 show

Pasáž U Stýblů (Alfa)

The Palace of “U Stýblů” located on Wenceslas Square was erected in 1928 by architects Ludvík Kysela and Jan Jarolím. show

Patriotika Duplex, Koulova 6–8

The “Patriotika” duplex on Koulova Street, built at the beginning of the 1930s, is the youngest of the three Dejvice residential houses built by the Russian emigration. show

Petschek Palace, 931 Politických věžnů

This building served as the headquarters for the Gestapo until the end of the occupation. Shortly after the invasion its owner, a successful merchant banker of Jewish descent, fled the country as show

Prager Presse

The topic of mutual Czech-German relations was also addressed by translator Otokar Fischer in his article "Nietzsche and the Czechs" written for Prager Presse. show

Prager Tagblatt

Wenceslas Square and its close vicinity used to be home to a number of newspaper offices as well as printing and publishing houses. show

Prager Tagblatt

Writer Max Brod joined the editorial staff of Prager Tagblatt in 1924 to "regularly cover Czech art and culture, which is certainla major progress in understanding between the two nations", as he show

Professorial House, Rooseveltova 27–29

The oldest of the three residential houses built in Prague–Dejvice by Russian émigrés was built by the “Czech-Russian Professorial Building and Housing Cooperative in Prague” as early as show

Refugees fleeing Nazism

Prague - a haven for refugees fleeing Nazism show

Residency of SoPaDe in Prague

In May 1933 leading members of the Social Democrats fled via Saarbrücken to Czechoslovakia, thus escaping Nazi persecution. In Prague they formed an exile organisation of the SPD called SoPaDe. show

Robert Grötzsch

Na Pískách 1835/32, Praha 6 show

Russian House on King Alexander Avenue

The second of the three residential buildings built by the Russian emigration in Dejvice and Bubeneč was the building which stands today on Yugoslav Partisans Avenue. show

Russian Émigrés in Interwar Czechoslovakia

According to various estimates up to two million inhabitants of the former Russian Empire had to leave their mother country following the events of the October Revolution and the Russian Civil War. show

Scharnhorst Barracks in Náměstí Svobody Square / Elementary School in Náměstí Svobody Square

Immediately after the war, many Germans were lodged in the displaced persons' camp in the former Scharnhorst Barracks (now Elementary School of Ema Destinová) in Náměstí Svobody square in show

Seat of Směrš, the Soviet Counterintelligence, Dělostřelecká 11

In May 1945, the villa which today falls under the management of the Ministry of Defence and where the Central Office for Jewish Emigration (Zentralstelle für jüdische Auswanderung) had its seat show

Slavia

Café Slavia has a mythical nature among Czech cafés. This myth was created gradually by a number of generations of artists and it originated in the interwar period when the members of the show

Social Democracy in exile

At the start of 1933 the Nazis seized power in Germany. The immediate consequence was the persecution of political opponents, above all Social Democrats and Communists. show

The British Embassy in Prague

When in March 1939 the German Wehrmacht occupied Prague and established the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia many of the opponents had no other choice but to flee inside the British Embassy. show

The Exhibition Grounds

This a place that had very symbolic connotations for the Czech-speaking citizens of the First Republic. The first Jubilee Exhibition took place in 1891. show

The New German Theatre

Since the 1860s theatre life in Prague was de facto divided into two scenes – German and Czech. The main Czech stage had been represented by the National Theatre since 1883, while the most show

The Roma in Czechoslovakia

The Roma in Czechoslovakia 1945 – 1989 show

The Royal Game-park or Stromovka park

After Nazi occupation, Jews were gradually banned from going to theatres, cinemas and, starting in 1940, parks and gardens as well. show

The Rudolfinum

Originally the House of Artists, it became the seat of the House of Commons of the Czechoslovak Parliament after 1918. Thus the building became the centre of Czech politics. show

The Zionist Movement

The Zionist Movement and Jewish Youth show

The headquarters of the Social Democrat Refugee Aid

The German Social Democrat refugees needed help when they first arrived in Czechoslovakia. Someone had to take care of them, and above all to find them accommodation in the city. show

The house of the family Deutsch

Until 1938, Moritz Deutsch had his optician’s practice at Na Příkopě 25. Moritz, his wife Maria and their son Karl Wolfgang were confirmed social democrats. show

Two Years in the Life of a Prague German (Horst Stölzig, 1933–2015)

Two Years in the Life of a Prague German show

Tůma’s Café

Tůma’s Café on Lazarská street was a typical literary café of interwar period Prague. The café on the ground floor of a corner house occupied both wings of the house. show

U Rybářky

The Roma community in Smíchov met in Arbesovo Square, in flats and also in restaurants and pubs. The Roma had “their” pubs in Smíchov. show

U Smaltovny street, no. 6

Before moving into the mayoral residence on Mariánské square, the German historian Josef Pfitzener lived in this building. show

Ve Smečkách 27

The association of German workers had its seat in Ve Smečkách street. The social-democratic association became especially significant after the Munich Agreement because it issued certificates of show

Veverkova Street 25

Doris Elsnerová (born 1924) lived in a beautiful corner tenant building built in the functionalist style in 1938. She had a Jewish father and a Christian, German-speaking mother. show

Wenceslas Square

Wenceslas Square in the “long” 20th century Wenceslas Square in the first half of the 20th century: The national symbol and a place of gatherings, meetings and confrontations show

Wilson Station (Main Train Station today)

Wilson Station, today's Main Station in Prague, was the first arrival point for many of those who returned. show

Work

The prospect of work and better living conditions was the main reason for the Roma to migrate from Slovakia to the Czech lands after WWII. show

present

Prague’s decisive hour: The end or a new beginning in 1945? show

Šternberkova street, no. 10

A well-known post-war historian of the Holocaust, Miroslav Kárný, lived in this house before he left for Theresienstadt. show

Šumická vinárna

Šumická vinárna – The Roma play for the non-Roma show

upcoming
events

authors

Björn Jungius

political scientist

Chad Bryant

associate professor at Department of History of the University of South Carolina at Chapel Hill

Daniela Bartáková

historian

Dr. Wolfgang Schwarz

historian

Eliška Waageová

researcher at the Terezín Initiative Institute

Eva Bendová

art historian and curator

Helena Sadílková

researcher inRomani studies at the Department of Central European Studies at Charles University in Prague

Ines Koeltzsch

historian

Jakub Grygar, Jana Proboštová, Andrea Plačková

Jakub Hauser

art historian

Jan Ort

Roma studies student at the Department of Central European Studies at Charles University in Prague

Jaromír Mrňka

PhD student at the Institute of Economic and Social History of the Faculty of Arts, Charles University in Prague

Johannes Heinke

ethnologist

Kateřina Čapková

historian

Kateřina Štinglová

Lea Calmano

Martha Stellmacher

PhD student of ethnomusicology at the University of Music, Drama and Media (HMTM) in Hanover and Faculty of Humanities of Charles University in Prague

Michael Polák

student of the Institute of Economic and Social History of the Faculty of Arts, Charles University in Prague

Pavel Baloun

PhD student at the Department of general anthropology of the Faculty of Humanities at Charles University in Prague

Radka Šustrová

researcher at the Masaryk Institute and the Archive of the Czech Academy of Sciences

Romana Hudousková

Roma studies student at the Department of Central European Studies at Charles University in Prague

Tereza Mašková

researcher

Thomas Oellermann

historian

Vít Strobach

historian